Wednesday, December 08, 2004

happy 100th aunt sirarpi!

Today is my great-great aunt Sirarpi's 100th birthday. Aunt Sir is one of the most vivacious people I know. She still writes, cooks amazing food and paints, and she recently testified in front of the Maryland State and U.S. Senate about the Armenian Genocide. She has a great attitude about life. Here's a little something she wrote when she was 92 that I find inspiring:


I hope my life will be an inspiration to the new generation--systematic 15-minute calisthenics and 3-mile walks every day, rain or shine.

After college and 2 years of medical school, I continued my education by reading books, newspapers, and interest in current events. As I got older, instead of stagnating with people my own age I spent time with younger people. I kept myself mentally young by helping and getting involved with their lives.

After raising three children, I began working at age 54. I took pride in my appearance and looked 20 years younger because I never smoked or drank alcohol. At age 85, I retired.

Seven years ago, my husband passed away. I was totally lost. I felt sick and despondent and wanted to die. My granddaughter encouraged me to write my life history. I wrote 500 pages and gave copies to my children and grandchildren.

Today, I am 92 years old. I still walk 3 miles a day. I have joined church groups, and I read and lecture. I take pleasure in group vacations, and instead of wanting to die, I have learned to give.

1 comment:

Katy said...

Nice!